How to score well in IELTS
The International English Language Testing System also known as IELTS is that mandatory examination you have to crack if you are planning to go abroad for studies.
The IELTS consists of tests in 4 categories,
When you are pondering on how to score well, here is a list of tips for each category which will assist in pursuing the same with excellence,
IELTS Reading tips
- Do not spend too much time thinking about one question. You can retry a question again later for solving it.
- Read instructions carefully, there are questions where need you to answer a question in your own words and those which have phrases to be copied exactly from the paragraph. Do as directed.
- Grammatical mistakes need to be avoided along with spelling mistakes.
- The questions that require you to give subheads or title needs more time, thus, be really careful with your time management.
IELTS Listening tips
- The questions are given to you even before the recording starts. So, make sure to read them in well advance to answer the questions properly.
- Usually the first two categories are really easy and the last two are comparatively more difficult to do.
- Concentration is the key to achieve good bands.
- Make sure to listen to the introduction part really clearly.
- Write your answers without grammatical or spelling errors.
- You are usually required to give answers in two words or three words. Make sure to listen carefully with respect to the instruction.
IELTS Writing tips
- The IELTS writing involves Task 1 and Task 2.
- You should be really careful with the choice of words, vocabulary and English in the writing task.
- For the Task 2 that is, the essay, it should involve a properly written introduction, the body part and the conclusion. The best bands always have 4-5 paragraphs.
- Paraphrasing and lexical resources are to be used for good scoring in writing task.
- The logical linking of paragraphs is also essential for good bands.
- Do make sure to write in accordance with the given word limit.
IELTS Speaking Tips
- For the speaking section make sure that you understand the question before answering them.
- It is also pertinent for you to understand that it is not a General knowledge test but an English one. Thus, flawless English is rather indispensable for good grades.
- It is best to give examples when quoting your answers; it will give good results.
- A detailed answer is always more scoring in comparison to short answers.
So, go ahead, start preparing and remember, “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.”